Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Round Table with Natural Maple Inlay

 This is another table using the same masking technique as I used to paint the inlay black. This time I am protecting the Maple inlay from the stain to keep a stark contrast as opposed to the easy way out which would be to just stain over the inlay. There are 2 bands of maple and 1 band of Wenge, all 1/16" wide for a total of a 3/16" inlay.








 Since the inlay is a hard wood like maple I can burnish the tape right on the raw wood without worrying about tearing the pores. You would never want to do this with softer wood, in that case you would have to seal just the inlay first before masking. The tape or the inlay is never perfectly sized so since I am staining the solid wood first I make sure to tape to the outside line of the inlay first.




  Here I have sprayed on my water based dye stain to the solid wood. I spray it on fairly dry like in the second part of my video. If I were to spray the dye on too wet I would increase the chance of it bleeding under the tape and ruining the inlay.







 I sealed the solid with the same isolante as on the last table and removed the masking tape.
I then re-masked to the inside line and stained the center veneer with the same method.




 Here is the table with the masking removed.



 Isolante on everything now and it is ready for the polyester sealer.

Here is a close up of the inlay.



                                             Here is the base with the polyester sealer sprayed on it.





Here is the top with a final coat of gloss 2K polyurethane, wet sanded and has had the initial buffing done. It will be spot wet sanded and then final buffed before shipping, the base is in the background it has
been sanded and sprayed with 2K urethane as well.


Here is another high gloss black buffed table I did recently, it has 2 leaves as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment