Thursday, January 9, 2014

Somebody Else's Sap

  So after doing a blog entry on fixing sap wood what should come into the shop but a condiment station for one of our clients that someone else finished poorly and we get to fix. They apparently used poor veneer with a ton of sap and didn't bother to blend it in. The customer didn't like it so they attempted to fix it by smearing some red stain on it in the field. I couldn't just tone in the lighter sap on this one because the sap didn't have the same figure as the rest of the veneer. So to add some grain and cancel out some of the red they added I used a pencil grainer brush with some raw umber artist oil colors. I determined the finish they used was regular lacquer so that made this much easier. There wasn't much finish on the surface so when I first tried my glaze the pigment bit into the surface too much so I had to spray a coat of sealer on the entire thing. Here is a picture of the face side. I have glazed the right hand side and you can see how it came to me on the left.






  After brush glazing the sap I then toned in the rest of the grain to make it match better and sealed it all in. This is where I am now, it just needs to be scuffed, toned overall a little to blend it in even better and then topcoat with 35% 2K urethane.


No comments:

Post a Comment