Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Film Thickness

  How much finish is really on that wood I'm finishing and how do I figure it out?

At our shop we spray 2K urethane sealer and top coat and we use a wet film gauge to measure how much finish we apply so everything is consistent. Here is a video from Gemini Coatings showing how to use one.

Once I have that number all I need to know is what the percentage of solids is for the coating I am using. For my TA44 Ilva Sealer the solids ready to use are 44%  For TS series Acrylic Urethane the solids ready to use are 29%

We usually spray 4 wet mils of sealer and topcoat for our standard open pore finish so:
Sealer: 4 wet mils x percent solids 44% = 1.76 dry mils
Top Coat: 4 wet mils x percent solids 29% = 1.16 dry mils

Total dry mils would then be 2.92 or less than the thickness of a sheet of paper.

That is why the prep for finish is SO important!

No comments:

Post a Comment