Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Faux Paint

I'm moving right along with my fiberglass ornament project so I thought since this is a simple primed piece I would do a real simple faux grain with aerosol cans of lacquer. This is usually what one of these projects requires. I would normally do this finish with a 2K urethane but lacquer is quick and easy and can be done at home by nearly anyone. The base color for this piece was done using Mohawk Blonde toner M101-0222.  
The glaze is done using Artists oil colors thinned with VM&P Naptha

Cherry toner is Mohawk M100-0408 Classic Toner Aerosol (these are dye based toners) 
and the top coat is Konig KO340 clear gloss
Here is a quick step by step video of the process:




This is a plastic mask I faux painted to match the zircote board I glued it on using this same technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment