Monday, May 12, 2014

Duplicating Architectural Ornaments with Fiberglass

  I'm currently working on a large residential job in New England and they asked me to duplicate some stamped copper architectural ornaments. The client wants the exact same ornament so similar reproductions won't work. Fortunately these copper ornaments were painted and that is the look they want duplicated so I decided to make a mold and then use fiberglass to cast new ones. 

  I've made duplicate moldings before but only for interior use. This is the process I came up with and I thought I would share.

  Here are the two moldings I need to copy. The first step was stripping all the old built up paint so I would have clean details to duplicate.






  The next step in the process is to create the mold that I will use to make my duplicates. I will be using Smooth-On ReoFlex 30 which is a urethane rubber. I am using the liquid which is a simple one to one mix.

  Here are the mold boxes I made to pour the urethane into. The inside corners were sealed with hot melt glue and I made sure to caulk all the edges of the ornaments so the urethane wouldn't  leak underneath the part.









No comments:

Post a Comment