Sunday, May 18, 2014

Duplicating Architectural Ornaments with Fiberglass Part 5

Removing the fiberglass from the mold, the urethane rubber mold makes this really easy.


When the fiberglass comes out of the mold it is still a little soft so we trim the frayed edges with a utility knife and lay the parts on a flat surface to cure. The next day I clean up the edges with a Dremel.
I have to make 18 of the large ornaments and 36 of the smaller ones, still have a way to go.  :)

These parts will just be primed and will be painted in the field after installation but usually I am
duplicating carvings and matching the color and grain so I will faux paint a couple extra pieces
in the next post to show step by step how I go about that process and I will use aerosol cans
of touch up lacquer so people without spray equipment can try the process out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment